Friday, February 14, 2014

The Perfect Valentine


LOVE DAY IS HERE!!! IT is my FAVORITE DAY. My heart feels full... Full of love from my husband, friends, family, and extended family;)
But today is my favorite day for more than just the fact that I feel full of Love... It's my story day!!

In Fact,
Love Day hasn't always felt like it does today...

It is truly amazing to me the details that the brain decides to attach itself to in a particular season. I have always been fond of Feb. 14th... but for the majority of my life it's been a day of heartbreak, disappointment, and fighting to uphold unrealistic expectations.

Lets just start with HIGH SCHOOL. This is where a lot of my "expectations" were let down. I wanted to have a date EVERY valentines day. I wanted to have flowers, big dramatic events happen so that everyone would know I was highly valued. I placed MY own value on the amount of carnations I got at school... or on if my "boyfriends" bought me things. Everything about my Valentines day ended in disappointment when I would only receive a couple things.

Needless to say I was never appreciative... but when you place your value on the things that you receive, someone could send you a plane writing your name in the sky and even that wouldn't be enough....

I didn't learn.... My heart broke every year. Even on the seemingly "good" valentines days.

Then... out of high school. My expectations hadn't changed. I was still chasing guys, chasing drugs, and partying. What I wanted for Valentines day... well... lets just say I didn't get it & if I would have... I don't think I would be here today...

It's safe to say that EVERY Valentines... I just wanted to get. I wanted to be spoiled. It was all about me. I am the woman. I deserved it... yada yada yada...

...But at the age of 20.... Love day wasn't about me. Love day had completely changed.

Yes, It's a book, so the story is known... but...

For the FIRST TIME in my ENTIRE LIFE on FEB. 12th, 2011... I fell in love. I fell in love with my Son.

FEB. 14th, 2011.... I had to let him go.... I had to place my son into the arms of another... allowing him to be Gods son. This was the FIRST sacrificial Valentine's Day I had EVER experienced.... It was the hardest day of my entire life...

If it wasn't for JESUS, THE LOVER OF MY SOUL.... I don't think I could have healed from that kind of heartbreak...

I say all this to say... that today isn't about you... or me... it's about the love we can SHOW to others. & the greatest love that we have IS Jesus... who, He, himself SACRIFICED his own life for us.

My value is found in him and him alone, making Every Love day from here on out, the perfect one.


No comments:

Post a Comment