Friday, December 7, 2012

The Christmas Necessity: Inspired by Toshas Message @ DC

Tonight was an incredible night at the Christmas Tea @ DC church and the message was extraordinary! Tosha did a great job explaining what Christmas truly means and how the Story of Mary and Martha changed her view on The Holiday Season. Like all things, in my Prayer time with Jesus, I came home and read the story for myself. I feel as though I am meant to write what the story means to me and what it means for this Christmas. 

" Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village, and a woman by the name of Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lords feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving and she went up to him and said," Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But The Lord answered her," Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion which will not be taken from her." 

Okay, so a few things that really hit home with me. 

One it starts off with Jesus traveling through a place and entering into a town. So in this scenario, it reminds me of when Jesus was close to a friend of mine and she introduced him to me. Jesus was traveling through town and through her to get to MY hearts door. It wasn't until he got close enough that I could welcome him in. 

The 2nd thing, I want to take a second to look at Mary and at Martha. The contrast is significant... To me, they represent my Sinful human Nature and the Holy Spirit God leaves with us. In the Story, it's Martha, the Sinful woman, who lets Jesus in,  but it's Mary who recognizes him and Sustains the bond with him. While Martha is busy hustling through her chores, distracted, as one may be by the world, Mary is quietly sitting at Jesus' feet. 

Mary is an example to me of what the Holy Spirit acts as... The Spirit sits at the feet of The Lord and keeps us calm and relaxed and is completely focused on the Savior and it brings Peace. It does not leave, even when Martha complains and says Mary isn't helping... It's because Mary is setting the example to live by. Just like the Holy Spirit sets the example and is as close to us as a "brother or sister." 

Another thing I Find interesting is in the story It doesn't say that it was Mary's house. It says it was Martha's. We must invite Jesus into our house--which is our body the Lord designed for us--and also accept the Holy Spirit, which in this story I believe is Mary illustrating what the Holy Spirit is here for.  

A lot of times we feel like we are doing things on our own just like Martha, but that's because we are trying to do so many things that God  isn't asking of us. The Holy Spirit is there to show you and guide you into what's important, it's not going to get up and help keep you distracted from God, but rather show you that you should find comfort at the feet of Jesus and realize what's truly important.

One last thing to tie it into the Holiday Season... 

Jesus Entered the Village.... and Mary did the right thing by sitting at Jesus's feet, stress free, in awe of him.... 

How much more then, should we be at his feet during Christmas when he not only entered into the home of our heart, but entered into the world as our Savior?  

This Christmas it's not about preparation, but about sitting in awe of our Savior, the Son of God who entered into this world to embrace all of us as sons and daughters. 

:-)) I pray everyone has an extremely awesome Christmas and again this is just my view on what this story means to me. 

I Pray that all of you dive deep into the Word to find what makes yours and Gods relationship truly unique. I pray that this season does not discourage anyone from the stress, but encourages  everyone to find that quiet, peaceful place in the midst of the most busy season of our year. I pray everyone is inspired to confidently move in the direction God is leading and to face the end this year fearlessly, knowing that  God  has something greater in the year to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment